Download Free Blueprints for Building Better Girls: Fiction Books Full Version
Itemize About Books Blueprints for Building Better Girls: Fiction
| Title | : | Blueprints for Building Better Girls: Fiction |
| Author | : | Elissa Schappell |
| Book Format | : | Paperback |
| Book Edition | : | Deluxe Edition |
| Pages | : | Pages: 320 pages |
| Published | : | July 10th 2012 by Simon Schuster (first published September 6th 2011) |
| Categories | : | Short Stories. Fiction. Womens. Feminism. Adult Fiction |

Elissa Schappell
Paperback | Pages: 320 pages Rating: 3.57 | 2666 Users | 415 Reviews
Representaion To Books Blueprints for Building Better Girls: Fiction
Elissa Schappell, “a diva of the encapsulating phrase, capable of conveying a Pandora’s box of feeling in a single line” (The New York Times Book Review) delivers eight provocative, darkly funny linked stories that map America’s shifting cultural landscape from the late 1970s to the present day.Blueprints for Building Better Girls delves into the lives of an eclectic cast of archetypal female characters—from the high school slut to the good girl, the struggling artist to the college party girl, the wife who yearns for a child to the reluctant mother—mapping America’s shifting cultural landscape from the late 1970s to the present day. Its interconnected stories explore the commonly shared but rarely spoken of experiences that build girls into women and women into wives and mothers. In revealing all their vulnerabilities and twisting our preconceived notions of who they are, Elissa Schappell alters how we think about the nature of female identity and how it evolves.
Mention Books During Blueprints for Building Better Girls: Fiction
| Original Title: | Blueprints for Building Better Girls |
| ISBN: | 074327671X (ISBN13: 9780743276719) |
| Edition Language: | English |
Rating About Books Blueprints for Building Better Girls: Fiction
Ratings: 3.57 From 2666 Users | 415 ReviewsWeigh Up About Books Blueprints for Building Better Girls: Fiction
Elissa Schappells collection of interconnected short stories was one of the best short story collections I have ever read. Each character was distinctly drawn. They were not heroes or antiheroes, but real girls and women struggling with issues that were unique while feeling universal. Her cast of repeating characters each stood on her own, and were then illuminated by how they were seen through other characters perspectives. Through her stories, she showed how women are influenced by theirThere were only a few spelling errors, and I smiled to myself as I came across them, because I knew as I read that this would be a book that will hopefully see many printings over time. These typos will not live to see the second printing, because Elissa Schappell is meticulous and passionate, and she is the editor of Tin House so if this book doesn't live long you can just smack me and call me late for dinner. if you like short stories that have sex with novels, this is the book for you.
If I had to describe this book in five words it would be: beautiful, heart wrenching, real, haunting. It has been a long time since I couldn't put a book down without great difficulty. Schappell has written a series of short stories that is so intimately relatable that it's impossible to not feel for these girls.There are some reviewers who were bemoaning and wanting to know where the "strong" women were in this anthology and the point of this was that these were not strong women. They were real

I picked this up as a possibility for a class about female adolescence--the reviews made it sound like it would delve into the lives of girls in a realistic and multi-dimensional way.Not so much.All the women in the stories focus on are men and babies. Really, it's no longer cutting edge or radical to have a mom character who regrets having children, or a woman who likes sex, but apparently Schappell thinks these things are still shocking enough that they can support an entire short story. All
I remember reading Elissa Schappells novel Use Me back at the end of high school and not liking it; still, when I read such positive reviews of this short story collection, I was ready to dismiss my high school selfs opinion of Schappell because, goodness knows, my tastes were definitely questionable back then. (I read VC Andrews for fun, for YEARS.) All of this is to say that I was disappointed that I was greatly disappointed in this collection. Its not because Schappell is necessarily a bad
Elissa Schappell ain't afraid about writing about bad girls--or "good" ones either, and she shows how hollow those labels are. Here is a Southern college girl who feels unreal whenever she has a thought her proper mother wouldn't approve of, another who loves to get drunk and risky (her nickname is "Bender"), a mom who isn't sure she should have become one, an anorexic adult who keeps her mother drawn into her fears and obsessions. All are complicated, scales rather than single notes on the
I can't imagine being a woman of any age and not personally identifying with at least one, if not more, of the girls and women in this smart book. Ms. Schappell's book of short stories cuts to the truth of so much."I have looked into Candy's eyes, and the girl looking back is very familiar. I don't trust her."Her girls are neither victims nor survivors; they are women who know which battles to pick even if it means getting hurt themselves. They are honest and raw and to be the reader and hear

0 Comments